| Rod and I at the Taste of Cincinnati |
This year I turned the big 30. It has been weird to come to the realization that my twenties were complete, and yet they are. As my birthday crept closer and closer, I had a few moments of panic, and the reality of the brevity and speed at which we zoom through our lives seemed more noticeable. I was stung by the sadness of what felt the end of my childhood and a solid step into adulthood. (Strange...because I probably should have felt like an adult a long time ago---since there are 3 kids in tow! But up until now, I have still felt very much like a kid.) Luckily, I had my sweet Rod to pull me through it and help me end my twenties with meaning and joy. Just as it should be. We made a list of the top 20 things I did in my 20's, but the list quickly filled up and over. We live in a culture that celebrates youth and disdain's growing older. Sadly, I think we have it all wrong. The sadness I felt dissipated as I realized that my 20's were full, adventurous, tumultuous at times, but filled with far more successes than failures and much more love than pain. As I have reflected more fully on the last 10 years, I have come to appreciate the many things I have learned and the things I have accomplished. I want to be 30. I think I have earned my age. I know that having another year to spend with my family on this adventure is a privilege and I am grateful to be alive. So, while I cannot share my entire list, as some things are deeply personal and others deeply painful--I will share a few of my favorites off of the list.
20 things I did in my twenties (in order of occurrence--not in order of importance):
1. Became fluent in American Sign Language
2. Met and married the love of my life.
4. Bought my first car (my purple Saturn)
5. Lived in 5 States, moved 7 times
6. Learned to Snowboard
7. Graduated Flight Attendant School
8. Handled an in flight emergency and got a letter from the C.E.O of my company.
9. Went whale watching in Seattle
10. Celebrated the birth of 3 beautiful children
11. Enjoyed waterfall repelling in Costa Rica
12. Drove coast to coast of the U.S.
13. Danced along at a Luau in Hawaii
14. Had Dinner at the Eiffel Tower in Paris
15. Celebrated the birth of 3 beautiful children
16. Ran my first race
17. Bought and sold my first home
18. Went to Disneyland for the first time.
19. Stood at a Volcano
20. Hiked the Rain-forest at night
I will stop at there, though it doesn't even begin to cover it...It has been a full and good ten years; On the last day of my twenties I decided I would do something fun. Something I have wanted to do my entire 20's. I died my hair pink, and loved it!
We celebrated all weekend long. On Friday I spent the evening celebrating with friends, on Saturday my sweet mom took care of the little's; and Rod and I played all day, on Monday we celebrated as a family and went to the Great Wolf Lodge together. It was a full and wonderful weekend! Can't wait to see what the rest of this year brings!
I will stop at there, though it doesn't even begin to cover it...It has been a full and good ten years; On the last day of my twenties I decided I would do something fun. Something I have wanted to do my entire 20's. I died my hair pink, and loved it!
Special thanks to Rod, and the many people in my life who made me feel so loved on my birthday.
2 comments:
Happy 30 beautiful! So glad I could share most of your twenties with you.
What a great post! I want to hear stories about the things on this list! :) -Jen S
Post a Comment