This blog is such a fun place for us to document our favorite moments, and little things like that. Occasionally there are significant details in our lives that are not so upbeat. Not terrible things-but things that just are. We have been wrapped up for the last few weeks with doctor visits for Grayson. Grayson has almost always been dealing with one or another sickness. We thought that this was in large part due to allergies. Significant allergies can compromise the immune system. A few months ago, he began to have a new symptom. Our pediatrician decided it was time to test him for Celiac's Disease. We once again took him to get his blood drawn and to have a Celiac Panel done. As you can see from the previous post--he came out with no detectable food allergies. However, his blood results were not normal.
Our pediatrician recommended that we go see a Gastroenterologist at Memorial Herman. Our appointment was last week, after a lengthy discussion of Grayson's history, he still shows sufficient signs of Celiac's Disease. The doctor decided to do a Upper Endoscopy, and a Sigmoidoscopy. Because his celiac panel was off, and his blood results off-the best way to rule out Celiac's Disease, is to actually take a look at his small intestines. (In Celiac's is a disorder that causes damage to the intestines when gluten is eaten (protein in grains like wheat, oats, rye, and barley). When Celiac is present it is very visible, the linings of the small intestines are worn away.
His procedure is next week. If his result comes back negative then we will rule it out and move on to other possibilities, some a little complex--others very simple. I feel at ease, all of the possible problems are things that can be dealt with. I also feel confident that everything will work out just fine. I will be relieved to pin down what has been making him feel so sick.
*On a positive note--Our Gastroentologist commented that for a child who has dealt with as many things has Grayson has--he is a remarkably endearing, and HAPPY child. I couldn't agree more!
Our pediatrician recommended that we go see a Gastroenterologist at Memorial Herman. Our appointment was last week, after a lengthy discussion of Grayson's history, he still shows sufficient signs of Celiac's Disease. The doctor decided to do a Upper Endoscopy, and a Sigmoidoscopy. Because his celiac panel was off, and his blood results off-the best way to rule out Celiac's Disease, is to actually take a look at his small intestines. (In Celiac's is a disorder that causes damage to the intestines when gluten is eaten (protein in grains like wheat, oats, rye, and barley). When Celiac is present it is very visible, the linings of the small intestines are worn away.
His procedure is next week. If his result comes back negative then we will rule it out and move on to other possibilities, some a little complex--others very simple. I feel at ease, all of the possible problems are things that can be dealt with. I also feel confident that everything will work out just fine. I will be relieved to pin down what has been making him feel so sick.
*On a positive note--Our Gastroentologist commented that for a child who has dealt with as many things has Grayson has--he is a remarkably endearing, and HAPPY child. I couldn't agree more!
2 comments:
Man, poor kid. If it does turn out to be Celiac's, let me know. I have a few friends in my ward that have husbands with Celiac's, so I can get you in contact with them for all sorts of tips and stuff. Hopefully you guys will find out what the problem is soon. I'm glad that you are at peace with all of it. I would be going crazy, especially if it was food related. I would hate having to change our diets (especially mine!) because of "bad" foods. Good luck!
It seems like it is one thing after the other with your poor family..I will keep you guys in our prayers.
Post a Comment