Monday, April 29, 2013
Chapter Books
We have started reading chapter books in the evenings before bedtime. At first I started with Caily, at age 5 she is completely ready for some more complex stories and able to remember the story line the next day. She loves the fairy books by Daisy Meadows, and although the plots are simple she enjoy's the adventure. In the evening when we sit together to read she begs for one chapter more! I love that, and often oblige.
I picked up a new series that I thought might interest both Grayson and Caily, called The Magic Treehouse Series. I was pleasantly surprise that the first book "Dinosaurs in the Dark" has been a huge hit. Last night they both excitedly climbed into my bed to snuggle up with the story, exclaiming and proclaiming their love for books. To say the least, both of the kids are really enjoying it. In fact, after reading the first 3 chapters last night, Grayson slept with the book. This morning the first thing he requested was more of the book! Neither of them could wait so we ended up reading a few chapters before breakfast, all they have talked about was the story. I am grateful I bought the first four books of the series because at this rate they won't last through the week!
We have made a summer goal to read 25 books together and I think we will breeze past that number in no time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is so great! I haven't heard of those fairy books and think I'll look into them for Jane. My kids love magic tree house.
If you are fishing for other fun read aloud books (or ones for they'll be able to read before long) we are starting the little house on the prairie series (we're almost through Little House in the Big Woods). The Boxcar children is a fun one, and my kids like reading A to Z mysteries, although that might be a good one to let them read on their own. It's fun to leave some of the simple ones for them to read, and read aloud some of the ones that might have more words that they might struggle with. (Not that you were asking for any tips!)
besides your darling kids..the first thing I noticed in the picture are your stairs. do they split down into 2 different areas? That is so cool!
We love Magic Tree House!!
Post a Comment