Friday was another day for Ordinary Differential Equations
but, as it does most weeks, it also signaled the start of the weekend. I don’t
know how it started, or who put it together, but that evening found me and a
large group of other cliché enjoying college students in front of a fire pit in
the parking lot of Clarissa’s apartment building, complete with marshmallows
and someone with a guitar. After the previous night’s developments I was felt a
little bolder and so I found my way to Clarissa and we spent most of our time
in front of the fire talking together. We had a good time and eventually a
bunch of us, including Clarissa, went back to my apartment and looked at the
pictures from karaoke the night before and we spent most of that evening
flirting back and forth. Now, if you’re not with BYU, then you should know that
BYU has strict rules about men being in women’s apartments and vise-versa, one
of those rules is that men are not allowed in women’s apartments past midnight
(1:30 on Friday night) and women aren’t allowed in men’s apartments during
those same hours. So when the witching hour came I offered to walk Clarissa
back to her apartment. On the way back I think neither of us really wanted to
stop spending time with the other, and I especially didn’t want to give up any
time with Clarissa so we both talked about how we weren’t tired (this is
something I can’t even imagine to be true ten years later). So I asked Clarissa
if she wanted to go get a slushie at the local 7-11. If you think this seems
like a rather lame idea, you should keep in mind that the late night options in
Provo UT are severely limited. The funny thing was Clarissa said no, and I was
crushed. All my hopes that she was interested in me came crashing down in one
short minute and I thought I must have been reading the signals wrong all
along. Fortunately, Clarissa only let me suffer for a few moments before she
said she didn’t want to go get a slushie, but she would be up for a walk. So we
walked over to a park, swung on the swings, sat on the slides and talked late
into the night. It was during that conversation that Clarissa brought up that
she was reluctant to pursue things with me because her roommate was interested
in me, but Clarissa also told me that she was interested in me as well. It was
because of her roommate’s interest that she turned me down for the slushie
because it sounded too close to an actual date. We talked about it for a while
and Clarissa decided to talk to her roommate and try to smooth things over. After
that we talked longer about everything and anything just enjoying each other’s
company until sometime around 4am we found ourselves back on Clarissa’s
doorstep. I really didn’t want that night to end, but if it had to end I wanted
to kiss Clarissa. Unfortunately, I was worried that if I kissed her she would
feel like she was betraying her roommate and pull away. So, as we were saying
goodbye I wrapped her up in my arms and gently kissed her on her forehead. It
was quick and I risked it being awkward, too forward, or not forward enough,
but I looked into her eyes after that and she was smiling at me and I knew it
was just right. I went home that night probably the happiest man I had ever
been up to that point.
Thursday, July 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment