Friday, July 12, 2013

Ten years ago … together

I woke up Saturday morning (maybe Saturday afternoon) feeling pretty awesome. I had just spent most of the night hanging out with, talking with this amazing girl who I had met briefly less than two weeks before. Already though it was starting to feel like I had always known her, or she had always known me. Clarissa had to work during the day then, but I remember talking to my roommate about how I really was really interested in Clarissa. His reply was a warning; don’t get too invested, Clarissa was really nice and sometimes that came off as flirting, but he knew several other guys that had tried and had never made it more than into the friend zone. Although Clarissa and I hadn’t defined what we were at that point and Clarissa was still worried about being sensitive to her roommate, I felt like we were on a path to something better than just friends. After work, Clarissa came straight to my apartment and spent some time there and we decided to join a bunch of friends going to watch a movie on a large inflatable screen. Clarissa decided that it was time to talk to her roommate and try to smooth things over. I remember that it didn’t go well, we didn’t watch much of the movie, but by the end her roommate understood that there was something different going on with Clarissa and I and said it was okay. Clarissa was really trying to be sensitive to her roommate’s feelings, but in this case she really felt like she needed to follow her heart and I’m so glad she did. By the end of the evening we were a couple and after that we spent most of our free time together. It was fast, less than two weeks from the day we met, one week from when we first spent any time together, there were no official dates, no awkward get to know you conversations. Our first real date wasn’t for another week; our first real kiss wasn’t for a week or so after that. Ours was not a “traditional” courtship, just the beginnings of a friendship and a love that will last forever. 

No comments: