*I still remember the barnacle theory, which postulates that
in some relationships where people are of unequal attractiveness levels (this stemmed
from another theory on inter-dating between the 10 different levels of
attractiveness) the least attractive of the couple was successful by deploying
a barnacle-like strategy. It usually started with the more attractive party
rejecting romantic advances by the less attractive party, but, out of kindness,
agreeing to be friends with said barnacle. At this point, the barnacle grabs on
for dear life and spends all possible time with the object of their affection,
to the point that everyone around them thinks that the two are a couple. The
beauty in this case sees a significant drop off in the number of potential dates
that come calling as those dates think that the beauty is taken and stop
trying. Feeling the blow of the drop in potential dates/candidates, said Beauty
begins to notice the barnacle. As it turns out, the barnacle is nice, pays
attention to Beauty, and, while not particularly attractive, is still an option
in Beauty’s now significantly reduced prospects. Beauty then agrees to
Barnacle's advances and before Beauty knows it they have seven or eight somewhat
attractive children.
Monday, July 8, 2013
Ten years ago … I think we were meant to be
Tuesday
night, if you remember, was Institute night for me and so exactly one week from
that fateful night where I first laid eyes on the love of my life, I ran into
her again on my way to Institute. Those people who knew me before I got married
will attest that I did not have any skills with the ladies, and had I met
Clarissa going opposite directions on the sidewalk under different
circumstances I probably would have gotten nervous, muttered a greeting under
my breath as we passed and then cursed myself for a missed opportunity at
talking to a beautiful girl that I really liked. On this occasion however, I
noticed Clarissa was crying and, moved by compassion, I stopped and asked her if
she was okay and if I could help her. She smiled a little, thanked me for my
concern, said she was ok and walked on while I went on to Institute. As I sat
in Institute half listening to the speakers I remember having this powerful
feeling that I needed to go talk to Clarissa. At first I dismissed the feeling
thinking I was just some strange guy who had shown her how to turn her lights
on the night before and why would she want to talk to me, but I just couldn't
shake the feeling. I remember thinking to myself, “Do I need to leave right
now, in the middle of this class?” I stayed but I was so compelled to go see
Clarissa that I practically jumped up and ran to her apartment as soon as the
meeting ended. I knocked on her door and was promptly greeted by her friend…yes
that one, and in the intervening week they had become roommates. I asked if I
could come in and I talked to her friend for a little while, telling her about
seeing Clarissa and asking if she was okay. Clarissa told me later that she had
fallen asleep, but woke up in time to hear my voice and came out to the living
room. The three of us talked for hours after that. I found out that Clarissa
had just returned from being a counselor at church youth camp for a week and
was having a hard time coming down from the spiritual high of teaching
teenagers about the gospel and life for a week. She had been crying because she
had just come back from talking to the ward Bishop (equivalent to a pastor for
anyone not familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) about
how much she loved and missed that experience. We moved on to other topics and
eventually were joined by one of my roommates who entertained us with his
theories on women and dating*. We were laughing and having a good time, and I
found that as much as Clarissa’s tears broke my heart, her smile, laughter and
compassion melted it back together again. At some point we decided to make a
late-night run for some ice cream. The four of us piled into Clarissa’s
friend/roommate’s car, went to get some ice cream, and when we came back we
said goodnight. Leaving that night I was really hoping to get another chance or
find another excuse to go talk to Clarissa again. I didn't realize that at that
moment my wallet was sitting on the back seat of her roommate’s car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is awesome.
Post a Comment