It was inevitable, horrible but inevitable. There are experiences which every parent must endure simply because, well that's parenthood. For 42 days I have been learning all about my baby and my new role as her mother. I have been with her nearly every moment, fed her every two hours, loved her, consoled her, changed her diapers and worried about her with every breath. I alone am her mother. You know the phrase "Mothers know best" ? I think it will be my theme. So my inevitable encounter with the "stranger who knows best".
Let me begin this by telling you about my worst trip to the grocery store EVER. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from a friend's house. Caily was sleeping so I took advantage of the few minutes I had to run through and pick up the necessities. Somewhere in the soup aisle, Caily woke up with a heart stopping scream. After a few minutes it became apparent she was not going to be soothed. I pulled her out of the seat to try to rock her. it didn't work..so with her in one arm, the cart being unsuccessfully directed with the other, and my body bouncing ever other step I pushed forward to the checkout. To make matters worse there was only one cashier in her booth. I tried unsuccessfully to pull the food out of the cart, and she continued to scream and scream. My face turned a deep red. The 9 people in line stared at me. I was embarrassed that I could not console her. By some miracle I managed to make it out. I wrapped Caily up pushed the cart out with my hip feeling completly humiliated.
Somewhere between the store and car, a frantic woman stopped my cart with her foot, speaking in a slightly elevated voice. "What?" I said again. "Cover the baby's head!" She shrieked, and then she proceeded to lash into me. All the while Caily is still screaming. Apparently this woman failed to notice that precisely 10 steps ago her head was nicely wrapped. She also neglected to realize that in the 5 minutes of which she lectured me for not properly preparing for the cold, I could have had her sitting warmly in the car. Apparently "strangers know best!" So although I realize this is a normal part of parenting that I will have to adjust to eventually, I would like to say to all the frantic grocery store women out there: "As good intentioned as you may be, please note that next time I WILL run you over with my cart."
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
if it as anything like the crying in the car, i'm guessing Caily's head was plenty warm. you should have punched that lady in the face.
Post a Comment