Saturday, February 27, 2010

Testing our Home

Thanks for hanging in there with my somewhat vague last post
Its been a long week for us.

I thought I would update my dear internet friends and family.
We did go ahead and test our home for mold, along with our air quality.
They found mold in our attic. Several small amounts.
Hurricane Ike poked its finger in our roof a few times...
It was small enough that we didn't even know.
The leaking water created mold.
We couldn't have prevented it.
And its lucky we found it.
Even more luck is that its going to be an easy fix.

Here's the interesting thing:
The mold is not making us sick.
bizzare but true.

Our air quality test came back normal.
In fact there wasn't one single stachy mold spore in our air.
In fact, the inspector said that in his 25 years...
our house had one of the cleanest counts he had ever done.
That our home is not making us sick.
A relief for sure...but it also leaves me wondering...what IS making us sick?
Maybe Texas is simply not the home for us.
This thought saddens me, because I do so love the people here.

On a happier note... we are back in our house
(special thanks to sweet friends who have taken us in while we sorted it out, what would I have done without you?!)

We are also hoping to get a new roof,
and new carpet right away.
We are getting an estimate right at this very second.

And I am Spring Cleaning in the most obsessive way.

Its amazing how much more lovely my home feels now that I am not questioning breathing in it.

Here's hoping that by some miracle we start to feel better soon.

5 comments:

Dasha said...

I guess that's a blessing having such clean air, but still makes you wonder. I mean you just shouldn't be that sick. At least now, you can move on with repairs and hopefully be on the mend. Hugs to you all!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Ah man...Good and bad. Good because you found out about the mold, but bad because you still don't know why you are sick. Here's hoping it's the carpet. But not at the same time. Since carpet is expensive. Just get better!

The Merkleys said...

I will totally agree with you on Houston and strange sickness. We have been no where near as sick as you guys but when we get sick it is miserable, a simple cold takes weeks to go away! I have never had a sinus infection until I moved here. Not fun! I am glad you are back in your house and it is safe!

The Editor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Editor said...

Ooh, I had your Flaming Tableau of Welcome all set up! Will save it for another time when you AND Rod can come with John and Mamie and make a happy, festive weekend of it! Congrats on the low mold count, and hope you feel better SOON!