Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Our trip to Bethlehem



Last night we went on a little trip to Bethlehem, just a few blocks from our house. Rod and I were watching our friends little guy Ryan, and we went with another family friend and their little boy. Caily was totally outnumbered...but if you could have seen how excited she was when she realized they were BOTH at her house-you would laugh right out loud. Rod's friend at work told us that a local church has been putting on this event (A night in Bethlehem) for the last 20 years! They have thousands of volunteers to prepare for it. We decided to go-- and it was fabulous. There was even a spotlight in the sky to represent the star and lead the way.

The first thing we saw was the real camel "grazing" out front. Wow! For those of you who are used to seeing this type of thing every day--you should know that I had never once seen a real camel in my entire life. I neglected to bring my camera but my friend had hers-so I will add pictures soon. Unfortunately the way the camel was eyeing us made us a little weary to be too close to the head. So it may be a picture of a camel butt.


Well, the great news is that Caily was very excited about the animals too! She just hit that stage where animal sounds, noises are everything. Her mouth dropped open, her arms were flailing and pointing and she was making the only animal sound she knows. (the panting dog) She nearly jumped out of my arms when the sheep herd came by right in front of us. We got to go on a "mini journey" to find the baby Jesus. First we met the wise men-and got to smell the frankinsense and murr, they gave the children little presents to take to manger. Inside it was incredibly well done. There were aisles of shops representing different trades and activities that happened in Bethlehem oh so long ago. The stroller had a bit of a rough go through it because there was straw and hay everywhere!

It really was a lot of fun, and so wonderful to be able to focus on that night in Bethlehem. I am sure we will be making this one a family tradition. Pictures soon!

4 comments:

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

That sounds awesome. I am so jealous. Abigail would have loved that. As it is, we might make it over to the Museum for the annual nativty display. Might.

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

What a cool event! I love things like that to get me in the Christmas spirit. Ok, but seriously, have you never seen a camel at the zoo? or the Puyallup fair? That's so cool they had one there though! Can't wait to see pics!

MadMama said...

I love places like that! Supposedly there is a little Bethelehem here in Austin but we haven't figured out where it is. Can't wait to see pictures! :)

The Stratton's said...

Nope first time seeing a camel. Did they have them at the Puyallup fair?