We are counting down the days until Rod returns home. In the meantime, I have had quite the challenge--trying to adjust to the new food allergies at our house. Its been more difficult than I anticipated. But I am learning alot.
I learned that Milk allergies can damage immune systems and cause nerve ending sensitivity. Which explains the sickness and the sensory disorder problems we had been dealing with. Because most meats, pasta's, commercial breads, crackers and sauces are made with milk and eggs. I am at a complete loss for what to feed my child. As if toddlers weren't picky enough to start with! Last night for dinner she had corn. Just corn.
I woke up at 6 am to make her fresh bread. Which I will be doing everyday, for probably the next 20 years. I am feeling a little more hopeful today, as I have found some Vegan cookbooks for kids. They are on the way, and when they arrive I am certain everything will be ok.
I do wish we had a more health stores close by.
Here's a sample of her DO NOT EAT list.
NO: commercial breads, doughnuts, muffins, pancakes, french toast, waffles, pretzels, crackers, ovaltine, hot cocoa, many cereals, rootbeer, eggnog, milk, brownies, cakes, cookies, cream filling, icecream, egg noodles, sphegetti, pasta, macaroni and cheese, boxed mashed potatoes, french fries, fast food, chicken nuggets, meatballs, and sausage. Cheese, cream cheese, sourcream, bologna, hotdogs, ceaser and ranch dressings, noodle soup, clear broths, cream soups, and anything containing milk, eggs, caisin, whey caesin, lactulbim, milk solids, carmel flavoring, and the list goes ON and ON.
Did you know that most EGG subsitutes contain egg whites?
What's the point of that!?
9 comments:
!
Finally some answers. That must feel good after so long. And bad, because now all the work seems to be back on your shoulders.
Don't children often grow out of their food allergies? That might mean it could be 4 or 5 years rather than 20?
Here's to hoping.
Rather than bake bread everyday, how about bake several loaves and freeze them? I have an aunt who would bake bread in the winter, the oven kept the house warm and she'd bake almost enough for the whole year. Just depends on the size of your freezer and if you don't have a deep freezer I highly recommend looking into getting one. We have just a small one but it's wonderful having so much more space for those big bags of veggies from Costco or Sams's. It also might be helpful to make a list of everything she can have. Might make it easier to see that rather than the do not's. I had a companion who had milk allergies, it was something with her stomach not being able to break down the acids or proteins or something. There is medication for that, but I know there are several different allergies. Some you grow out of, some not. My grandma can't have gluten and most milk products. Kind of funny considering she's spent the majority of her life on a dairy farm.
Another downer for leaving Seattle and all the health food crazies here! I'm sorry, that really sucks. I know you'll get it all figured out and soon it will be just be normal for ya! :)
At least it isn't wheat or corn that she is allergic to. My friend has a daughter with a corn allergy. Do you know how much stuff has corn in it? Anything with corn syrup is a no-no, which means ketchup for starters. Now you can get a bread maker! Carl and I are having a hard time choosing between two different ones.
I don't know if you've seen this website, but I love their recipe for homemade bread. She also has some tips for making easier to make multiple loaves.
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/03/11/making-homemade-bread-the-food-storage-recipe-challenge/food-storage-recipes
Good luck with the allergies!
Angela (Rod's cousin)
Gross. It just sounds gross. I'm so sorry.
You know, I've learned that you can substitute applesauce for eggs in most baked goods. It changes the flavor and the texture a bit, but not enough that my kids cared. You may have to add a smidgen more of baking powder or soda & sometimes a little more liquid (soy milk or whatever you're using). Anyway, I've done that a lot in making our own cakes and muffins.
My daughter had a wheat allergy (she did grow out of it, thank goodness) and I spent a lot of time making our own bread out of spelt & kamut flour-- it's not so bad after awhile :-)
do you guys have Whole Foods by you? You could find a lot of stuff there...plenty of vegan-friendly stuff. A few of my friends that have food allergies swear by that place. A bit more expensive than your regular grocery stores, but may be worth it to have some semblance of a more normal diet. Good luck!
uh good news in that list, she doesn't have a deadly peanut allergy right! hugs
Post a Comment