When the day came to go, I remembered back to Seattle and leaving our home there for Houston in 2008 Its amazing how much love you can have for the place you live.
Our last few days there were blurry--so much to do, so many goodbye's, and so many people to miss. I felt so loved when friends came to clean our vacant house, watch the kids while the movers came-and bring dinners and more.
Its time to start my Miss You Texas List.
#1. People to Love
My friends put together a goodbye dinner for me with some of my most favorite people, here's 2 cute photo's from that.

Tom threw a farewell lunch for Rod. We feel so lucky to have had friends like these. My words fall short here, because good friends simply make the world more beautiful. Texans are my favorite. And this is what I will miss the very most about Texas, so I put it first on my list.#2. A beautiful neighborhood
I already miss it. 2 gorgeous parks and pools and an elementary school with-in 3 minutes of our home, Linda-Houda and Ann across the street. In Hurricane Ike doors were opened, friends were made and we fell in love with the people around us. Our next door neighbor Houda and her family even came to visit me at the hospital when Grayson was born.
#3. Our home
Our first house. What an eye opening and tender experience. Until the day we closed the door-I didn't realized how much we loved that home-it was so much work to be a homeowner--no landlords to sweep in and repair the roof when hurricanes hit. We said goodbye to the rooms-and remembered all the big moments we shared. The room where Caily and Grayson both took their first steps, made their first words and grew and grew. The space where we brought our new born son home and blessed him. The dining room we shared-laughing with friends and family. The yard our kids first ran through the sprinklers. . For me, it was hardest to say goodbye to the bottom two stairs-the place where Grayson learned to stand sit and crawl. Where he brought his most special toys--where he and Caily laughed and shared (screamed and cried)and enjoyed surprises, toys, presents and popsicles. I never knew how much I loved it-until it was time to leave.
#4. Our doctors
I cried when we went for our records from our Pediatrician to say goodbye. Silly, I know. But it was hard to say goodbye to the woman that we have entrusted the health of our children to. She walked us through everything from food allergies, throat scopes, colds, flu's, vaccinations, hospital procedures and speech delays. When we had the "plague" (our year of intense sickness) we saw her most weeks. The office jokingly offered me a job and a room to rent. We came to love and trust our doctors, and I will miss them. At least her cousin is a pediatrician here in Cincy. (that helps)
#5. Kid friendly places
Like the library-with toddler time, toys, books, coloring tables and nightly events. I was so sad to find out that our library here is teeny. And doesn't open until noon. We were spoiled silly in Houston.
#6. The Rodeo
#7. The beach. Enough said.
#8. The childrens museum (amazing)and zoo
#9. Chuy's. Only the best Tex-Mex ever made.
#10. Bar-B-Que. Nobody does it like Texas.
#11. The methodist church on El Camino Blvd
I could go on for awhile. Our family has loved this place. I love to tell people I am a Texan-though we only enjoyed 3 years there I wish it had been many many more. I will remember our time there as some of my happiest, and our friends there as some of my favorite. I love that Grayson is a Texan-cowboy hat-boots and all.
I should say that we probably won't miss Hurricane's or Tropical Storms, giant cocroaches or red ants. But they seem small in comparison to the things we have gained in living here.
I have to say it, because well, its a thing. God bless Texas.
2 comments:
Your friends and Texas will greatly miss you too! Love you guys!
I should've done a post like that when we moved from Monterey. Friends are definitely what makes the world go around. And all those people in Cincy are sure lucky to have ya'll!
Post a Comment